Monday, May 2, 2011

Hope and a Teal Tea






Yesterday was the Teal Tea foundation's 5th annual Teal Tea and the third year I attended. The funds raised will support ovarian cancer research at CINJ and Fox Chase Cancer Center.

This year I agreed to be a Table Captain. What did that involve? It meant that I had to decorate the table according to the theme of the year. This year it was Teal Cities of the World. I wasn't sure which city to pick- Rome ? London? . In addition to the city theme the decorations were to include the color TEAL.

I decided to pick London. I wanted to honor the British women who are my friends through this blog and through a group I belong to on Facebook. The feelings, hopes, treatments and concerns you have as an ovarian cancer survivor are the same no matter where in the world you live.

I spent the past month or so collecting different items to represent London. Then I decided to build a model of Westminster Abbey ( scene of the wedding of William and Kate). I finally found a balsam wood kit of the Abbey and aa telephone booth at Michael's Craft store. It took me a while to put the models together but a few days before the Tea they were done. And the finished product is what you see above.

The event yesterday was wonderful. Ann Gutos , survivor and Jenny Allen survivor and actress shared their stories of survivorship with courage and humor. During the invocation my doctor shared the definition of hope. I don't remember the exact words she used but one definition is "the feeling that what is wanted can be had." Yesterday was a day of Hope . My hope is that this tea will help find a cure.

Dee
Every Day is a Blessing. I was blessed to share the day with so many survivors including my friends Pam, Lynn.Lynn,Deirdre and my cousins Marion,Ali and Erica

2 comments:

l'optimiste said...

absolutely fabulous - most impressed that you built Westminster Abbey! I did wonder when I saw the photos. Great work!

And we are all very touched over here Across the Pond :)
x

Dee said...

Thanks Sandhy.
I am so chuffed to know so many wonderful women of teal across the Pond.