Friday, May 6, 2011

An Old Photo and Roses

Many of my friends on Facebook has been using photo's of their mothers as their profile picture. It is their way of honoring their moms this Mother's Day. My mom passed away when I was very young so I don't have many photographs of the two of us together. When I was looking through old photos for the bulletin boards at Aunt Dora's wake I ran across this photo of my mother and I when I was 2.
I don't even recognize where the photo was taken but I love the expression on my face. Not sure what I was eating but I don't think I liked it very much. I might not remember my mother very well but I know that she is very much a part of who I am.

Today, Nick and I went to the store to get some flowers for the patio. As we were walking around I saw this large display of roses. Flashback once again to when I was little. My father loved roses. He had lined the driveway with mostly red ones. I used to love the smell of them. In all the years we have been married I never even attempted to plant roses. But we have this spot at the back of our home that would be the perfect place for this rosebush.
So this year I'll take a stab at planting the rosebush you see above and hope it grows. I just hope some of my father's rose growing talent rubbed off on me.

Happy Mother's Day everyone!
Dee
Every Day is a Blessing! I am blessed to have been a mother, had a mother and had an Aunt who was like a mother to me.

3 comments:

l'optimiste said...

gorgeous rose! the trick with them is to never be faint hearted! chop them back radically in the autumn [Fall?] and give them loads of horse manure - sorted! ;)
x

Dee said...

Thanks Sandhy for the advice . Are there low odor horse manures? I just hope it continues to grow in its new home.

Tami Boehmer said...

Let's hear it for roses...and stopping to smell them. I'm sure your mother is watching over you and is proud.