Monday, April 7, 2014

Stay the Course

For the past two weeks time seems to have been flying by. We are having some painting done in our home so my normal routine and place I work on the computer has been disrupted.

Most of my time was spent reviewing grants/ proposals  for two organizations. Some of the proposals are on subjects other than cancer so I needed to take extra time to do the review. I am learning a tremendous amount though I still experience issues with remembering what I just read. If I read one proposal and wait till the next day to write my final review I have to go back and reread the information. Then my reviews were reviewed and suggestions for rewrites were send . Even with pages of notes that I took as I read about the research I still needed to reread ( now for a 3rd & 4th  time) the sections where changes were suggested.  A bit frustrating to say the least but I got through it all. I understand that if you  "exercise" your brain, the cognitive impairment - "Chemo brain" will get better.

If you are an advocate for cancer or diabetes or heart disease or autism or any health related issue look for opportunities to share your experience / knowledge as a grant reviewer. It is hard work but a great experience and many organizations are looking for the voice of the patient or caregiver in evaluating grant proposals.

I also worked on an application for a scholarship to the ASCO annual meeting in Chicago. Of course my brain tricked me again and I thought I had read I had till Thursday afternoon. So I thought I would just shoot it off after I came home from my port flush on Thursday. Well, when I went to the original packet of information to find the e-mail address to send the app to I read the time the app was due was 11:59 am . I missed the time by less than an hour. I was disappointed in myself but I figure I will try next year.

The good news is that my application to attend the Biennial Cancer Survivorship Research Conference in June was accepted. I am honored to be attending this conference in June and look forward to sharing what I learn on Twitter and this blog.

I did spend some time having fun too. I took part in a class last Monday my community held called  Art Journaling. What a fun time we had at this class taught by local artist and children's book author, Dar Hosta. I love to take the time to be creative.


Dar wrote about our class in her blog "Monday #33:Fun Shows"

So even though it has been busy and I don't post every day,  I "Stay the Course" and continue to share with all of you.

Dee
Every Day is a Blessing! Blessed to share time with my neighbors being creative.

No comments: