Friday, February 24, 2012

Missing Her Since 1995

On Monday, I read a post on the blog The Pink Underbelly titled "Blindsided". The author wrote about running across a hospice booklet she had received in 2005 when her mom was dying. She described being blindsided by the grief she felt.

On this gray and dreary day in NJ as I sat making out a check, I stopped to look at the date on my calendar - February 24th. I said out loud " Today would have been Bert's birthday" and I started to tear up. I didn't think my husband heard me but he came in from the study and gave me a big hug and I cried. It seems that you don't even need to find things to have the loss of someone touch you in amazing ways years later.

Roberta, who I called Bert, died in 1995 after fighting breast cancer for five years. I so wish that I could pick up the phone and talk to her like we used to. Except in addition to talking about our children we would talk about our wonderful son-in-laws and adorable grandsons. And we would laugh about how I went north instead of south on the Turnpike today.

Dee
Every Day is a Blessing!

No comments: