Thursday, February 24, 2011

Time with Friends



Over the past five years I have taken on this attitude that if there is an opportunity to spend time with family or friends or to experience new things I jump at the opportunity. I don't think so much any more about how long it will take, how tired I will be or what else I should be doing, I just jump at the opportunity. Take last weekend for example.

We have been friends with the Pics for quite some time. We used to live on the same block in Edison. Then the Pics moved to North Carolina. But the distance did not cause our friendship to end but rather it has flourished for close to 25 years now . We vacation together, spend holidays together & celebrate our children's milestones . Linda and I speak on the phone frequently most times for over an hour. We watched their daughter Christina marry Chris in 2007. So we were thrilled to be invited to Christina's baby's christening even if it was in Charleston, South Carolina a 12 hour car ride away. ( See I wouldn't let the distance or the fact that we might get bad weather to stop us from going.)

Last Friday, Nick and I hopped in the car at 4:30 am and headed south on 95. We switched drivers every few hours but I think I did more sleeping than driving. We arrived to sunny skies and temperatures in the high 70's , certainly a nice change from the snow and cold we had been experiencing in NJ. We meet up with our friends and ate dinner overlooking a marina full of boats. ( You can't do that in Jersey this time of year.)

On a warm , sunny Saturday morning we heading to downtown Charleston. What a beautiful , friendly city. We visited the Market and took a horse-drawn carriage tour. What a fascinating history the city has - from plantations to pirates. And I love the brightly colored homes. We ate lunch at Magnolia's on East Bay. If you are ever in town be sure to stop in for some of their delicious food. I would rate their pecan pie the best I have ever tasted. Later that evening we headed to Christina's for dinner. It was there that I ate my very first steamed oyster. And I had the pleasure of opening it myself!

Sunday morning came and off we headed to the Cathedral of St John the Baptist for Mass and the Baptism. If you ever visit the cathedral you can't but help notice the beautiful stain glass windows. Christina's baby was so cute and well behaved in church. It was wonderful to be present at her baptism. Later, back at Christina's, we shared a wonderful meal with the Pics and Christopher's family. I wish that our time with the Pics could last longer but we were off early Monday morning back up 95 to snowy NJ.

I'm thankful that I had the opportunity to visit the beautiful city of Charleston, and eat steamed oysters. But the best part was spending time with such good friends.


Dee
Every Day is a Blessing!

1 comment:

Servivorgirl said...

How beautiful, thank you for sharing your joy.