Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Walking in another's shoes

Over the past five years I have met so many women diagnosed with ovarian cancer and other gynecological cancers. Many are still alive and cancer free, some are alive and battling recurrence, some are alive with stable disease, some are in hospice and some have passed on leaving a hole in their family's and community's world.

I have a friend E, an ovarian cancer survivor ,who has been in treatment for much of the past few years. I met her and her husband through an OC awareness organization in northern NJ. She is a sweet lady and her husband has been by her side through every test and treatment. He has always been on top of the latest ovarian cancer legislation and research for early detection and treatment. He helped to raise awareness of ovarian cancer in a number of creative ways.

Just about two weeks ago C. had a stroke. Three days ago he passed away.

For the past few days I keep thinking about E and putting myself in her shoes. I have a tendency of doing that - putting myself in other peoples shoes so that I can understand how they feel or why they react the way they do. Sometimes that is a good thing but sometimes not.

I know I can deal with whatever my health issues are going forward but when I think about doing it alone - without Nick by my side I admit I get scared. Would I find the strength to make the tough decisions on my own. I just don't know. I have children and other family members and friends who I know would jump in and help me. But I think there would still be a huge void. Nick is my soul-mate , he is the wind beneath my wings and I am thankful for every day we have together.

Dee
Every day is a Blessing!

No comments: