Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Jury Duty Day and a Walk Home





















I was called to be a petit juror today.The last time I served was about 6 years ago. I did get called back in 2005 but I was in treatment at the time and the court postponed my service.

Nick dropped me off at the courthouse in New Brunswick around 7:45am. I was to be in the jury room by 8:00 am. After going through a security screening and having our badges scanned, I and about 300 others watched a film about being a juror and the NJ judicial system. A few minutes after the film was done we were sworn in by Judge Berman. And the wait began. I read my book and worked on some KOH stuff. The wait continued until they told us we could leave to go to lunch. That was from 12:15 - 1:15pm. I hit the local fast food joint, listened to a band at the park (corner of George and Albany) and walked up to get a Dunkin Donuts coffee before I returned around 1pm. We continued to wait for another hour. This time I watched some soap opera on TV. Now I know why I don't watch those shows. Too many people with different people's babies who may have been married to people before. Way too confusing for me to get a hang of in one show. Then the women in charge of the jurors came out and told us the two cases we were called for were settled out of court and we could go home. I was a bit disappointed. I was looking forward to being part of a jury. Oh well, maybe next time.

After sitting for so many hours I decided to walk home. It was hot so it was a slow one but I figured it was good practice for the Philly Challenge which is this weekend. The photos on top are some things I saw on the way home. One is Albany street in front of J&J headquarters and the other is a plaque from 1930 of the history of New Brunswick. It is amazing how you can walk the same path so many times and sometimes new things just jump out at you. It was that way with my walk home today.

Livestrong
Dee
Every Day is a Blessing!

No comments: