Tuesday, July 28, 2026

We the Patients - A Must Read

Background: When I heard that fellow advocate, Matthew Zachary wrote a book about navigating our healthcare system and patient advocacy, I knew I needed to read it. I have known Matt since the mid-2000's. We connected through the LiveSTRONG Summits and LiveSTRONG Hill Day ( which he mentioned in his book) . He has been outspoken and a driving force behind changes in health care for AYA's and other cancer groups and an influencer of cancer advocates through the years. 


We the Patients is a must read for patients, advocates oncologists , health center administrators and dare I say every Congressman and Senator ! The book provides the history of the healthcare system in the US- the good, the bad, and the ugly. I have witnessed some of the ugly that has occurred through the past 20 yearsyears. 

Matt's diagnosis with a brain tumor is the thread between the chapters. Some of the topics he discusses includes the ACA, the insurance industry, denials of care, cancer debt and the change in survivorship care.  He highlights the work of advocates such as Maimah Karmo,  and Alli Ward,  physicians,  Dr Pat Ganz and Dr Harold Freeman to name a few and organizations such as Cancer Nation, LiveSTRONG whose work has helped improve conditions for cancer survivors nationwide. He stresses how we can and need to be the voice of change.  Hill days are not enough. We need to share our stories, be engaged in policy and vote. 

"I never set out to be a cancer advocate/mouthpiece/champion/ rabble-rouser but that is exactly where I ended up. " We all should be thankful that Matt has been exactly that. This book can make a difference in every cancer patient’s , caregivers and policymakers life.  

If you want to buy a copy on Amazon, please visit https://tinyurl.com/a84npsxv

Dee

Every Day is a Blessing!  



No comments: