Friday, March 29, 2019

Aren't We All "Women Rowing North" - a Book Review

A few weeks ago, I ran across a book online whose title peaked my interest. I added it to my Goodreads list and put a hold on the book at my local library. Last week I picked it up from the library and read it in 5 days. Women Rowing North - Navigating Life's Currents and Flourishing As We Age by Mary Pipher focuses on women who are older but as I read it I found parts that also can apply to women who are facing any challenge - a cancer diagnosis, the loss of a child, divorce etc.

After reading a few chapters I started keeping track of advice and quotes that touched something in my heart and mind. Here are my favorites:

"with age we experience less anger and anxiety. I suspect that can not be because we have less tragedy but rather because we have better coping skills."

"We can feel helpless at times…However we can move toward acceptance and resilience.Our tragedies can teach us to trust and connect us to others."

"Friendship is really not a noun but a verb. Relationships of any kind require attention, energy and time"

"Activism is complicated. …All Activists need to set limits or we can become exhausted and burned out."

 "Women can find ways to be connected and useful"

"grandmothering is complicated. Grandmothering requires great diplomatic skills and self-discipline."

"The culture shapes us and we shape it. As our bodies grow old we must find new ways to stay engaged and empowered. … Let’s push out into the current and row."


In the past almost 14 years as an ovarian cancer survivor I have found that cancer changed me. I have grown , learned and engaged with others. This book has something to offer women in every walk of life and I highly recommend it. 

Dee
Every Day is a Blessing!
-->

No comments: