Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Day 1 of #HAWMC - What drives me...

I'm not sure I can actually complete this #WEGOHEALTH challenge but I will give it a shot again this year. 

What drives me...

When I was first diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2005 I had not met another women with the disease. But I did know the story of Gilda Randner's diagnosis and that is not how I wanted my story to go. So I began this blog in 2007 to reach other women diagnosed with ovarian cancer so they didn't feel alone, to provide evidence based research and awareness of the disease.

Did you know that there is no screening test for ovarian cancer?Nope. That Pap test you go for is for cervical cancer.

I bet you heard that ovarian cancer is silent. Nope. Ovarian cancer can produce symptoms.
Bloating
Frequent urination
Pain in the pelvis or abdomen
Feeling full quickly

See if these occur for more than 2 weeks without stopping see your doctor. As one gyn onc I heard at a survivors meeting say - Ask your doctor to prove you don't have ovarian cancer.

I bet you thought all ovarian cancers were the same. Nope. There are many different types - epithelial, germ cell, stromal cell and these have subtypes and grades. 

I bet you thought ovarian cancer wasn't linked to any hereditary mutations. Nope. Women who have a BRCA 1 and 2 mutation are at higher risk for ovarian cancer so tell your doctor if you aunt or mother or sister or grandmother on both sides of your family had breast or ovarian cancer.

September is ovarian cancer awareness month but those with the disease try to raise awareness of the disease all year long. So if you see the color TEAL think ovarian cancer.


Dee
Every Day is a Blessing! 




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Look forward to reading your blog! #HAWMC