Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A Fictional Character and Ovarian Cancer

I just finished reading Jodi Picoult's Book Lone Wolf (2012) . It was excellent, by the way .

There are a number of lines in the book that are wonderful but what stood out was a statement by Luke Warren, the naturalist and wolf researcher, about his mother.

" She came to my grandfather's funeral and my college graduation and two years after that died from ovarian cancer."

Well that was a bit of a bummer. I think I would have liked to read a bit more about his mother but that was not to be. Then I thought how interesting it was that this author decided to have the mother die of ovarian cancer not a heart attack or breast cancer or some other disease. This is not the first time she mentioned ovarian cancer in one of her books. She also mentioned it in Nineteen Minutes.

I guess we ( advocates) have done a good job of raising awareness if fictional writers like Jodi Picoult include characters  diagnosed with the disease. Now we need a more developed character who receives the diagnosis , undergoes treatment and has the anxiety, support and hopes of these women of teal.

Dee
Every Day is a Blessing!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Progress is made, and hopefully - eventually - more rounded characters will follow!