Tuesday, December 20, 2011

An Early Christmas Gift-Hope Concert V

Lately , my husband and I have had a difficult time coming up with Christmas gifts for each other. So a few weeks ago when I heard about the Hope Concert V to benefit CINJ ( where I have been treated) we decided that would be a good gift to give to each other and a gift to those very people who have helped keep me alive to be here to celebrate Christmas 2011.

What a fun gift it was.

After eating a delicious meal at TEAK in Red Bank, we headed over to the Count Basie Theatre. The event was sold out. I did manage to run in to my gyn-onc and her husband and friends and the head of communication and her husband.

The Count Basie theatre is a smaller venue and our seats were perfect - end of the row , in the back but with a clear view of the stage. The show began with an introduction to CINJ through its video " What Does a Minute Hold at CINJ". I admit that I got a bit teary eyed as I saw nurses and doctors who played a roll in my treatment. And I was thrilled to see the $175,000 check presented to Dr Di Paola, director of CINJ and my friend Leanne Kochy , Director of Special Events for the CINJ Foundation. Also on stage was Ed McKenna , a CINJ Foundation Board member, who I had met a few years ago at the CINJ Gala.

Now back to the concert. The list of marvelous entertainers and musicians who donated their time included Tim McLoone and the Shirleys, Brian Fallon,Nicole Atkins, The Jersey Shore Rock-n-Soul Revue, Bobby Bandeira ( who helps organize the performance) , Gary U.S. Bonds , South Side Johnny and drum roll please .... Jon Bon Jovi! Yes, folks he is alive and well . He even joked that if he were dead then "Heaven looks a lot like New Jersey"

I apologize for the quality of the phone video.

We sang and clapped and stood and danced during the performances. I still can't decide if my favorite Bon Jovi song was "Who Says You Can't Go Home" or his rendition of "Blue Christmas". A fabulous time was had by all.

I want to send out a special Thank You to each performer , the stage hands, sound and lighting crew and the Count Basie Theater for volunteering their time and facility to support CINJ this year. There is a nice article about the concert here.

It sure was a fabulous Christmas present . Thanks Nick

Dee
Every Day is a Blessing!

No comments: