Tuesday, August 30, 2011

What would you have packed?

Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans back on August 23, 2005. A few weeks prior to Katrina, I underwent surgery, was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and started chemotherapy. So I was home and watching TV coverage of the disaster. I remember watching and thinking if I was ever in that situation what would I take with me when I evacuated. I really could not decide because there was so much I wanted to bring.

As many of you know Hurricane Irene made landfall in NJ last Saturday. We sheltered in our home but wanted to prepare for the worst in case we had to evacuate if the pond beyond our home rose high enough to threaten our home. So, six years later, I actually had to decide what I would take. Everything had to fit in our SUV.
Here is what I decided was essential:
Amber and Murphy ( the family dogs) and dog food/dog dishes/ plastic bags
Bottled water
My medical records including CDs of my CAT scans
Prescription medication/ eyeglasses
cell phones / chargers
Checkbook/ credit cards/ passports
laptop computer
5 special pieces of jewelry
Theresa's wedding photo portfolio
change of clothes for three days( which was based on the time we might have to be away) toiletries
flashlight/ lantern/ blanket

Everything was packed and in a place so that we could easily pick up and take it out the door with us. I'm so happy we didn't have to put our plan into action and have been under a boil water advisory and water restriction.

You know it really wasn't so hard making up the list. I just kept asking myself what could I not live without. It might be that I am getting older but I think the past 6 years as a cancer survivor have cleared my vision as to what really matters. As much as I love my home, the TV or furniture do not matter. Nick, my children , family, friends and our dogs do.

What would you take if you had to evacuate your home?

Dee
Every Day is a Blessing!

No comments: