Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Closing a Door


December 31st marks the end of my three year term on the Board of Directors of the Kaleidoscope of Hope Foundation. It has been my pleasure and an honor to serve with so many other women and men whose priority is to fund ovarian cancer research and raise awareness of the disease. I will continue to support the mission of KOH and a number of events not as a Board member but rather as a volunteer.

Since KOH's mission is to fund research I have had the opportunity to meet researchers whose work is cutting edge and who are dedicated to finding a cure. I shared my story with many of them so that they knew the face of the disease. I had a hard time explaining to them just how appreciative I am of their efforts. I even had the opportunity to tour one researcher's lab at The Ohio State University . And I've had the chance to work with the wonderful doctors on our Scientific Advisory Committee to draft this year's request for grants proposal.

I have enjoyed meeting women from other ovarian cancer groups who guide their groups in efforts to raise funds for research, support women diagnosed with the disease and raise awareness. I hope that the consortium that has been formed will continue to prosper and find its collective voice.

One of my favorite activities as a Board member was working with our web designer to update the KOH website. I learned about design, layout , and how to edit the site. But the best part of being a Board member has been the opportunity to meet other women diagnosed with the disease and family members of those who lost their lives to ovarian cancer. I met them at the Gala, at the walks , at the Passing of the Torch and at awareness events. We are fighting together to make teal the new pink, to have primary care physicians listen to our symptoms and diagnose us quicker and to work closely with our gynecologic-oncologists to find the best treatment for each one of us. Many of these women have become my friends.

I am not sure what lies ahead in 2011 but as the saying goes "as one door closes another opens". So I am looking forward to the next door that will open.

Dee
Every Day is a Blessing ! Indeed.
PS Thanks Matt for taking such a beautiful photo of a door in Riva.




No comments: