September is almost over and another ovarian cancer awareness month is in the books.
On September 20th , I was planning on walking the Kaleidoscope of Hope Ovarian Cancer Foundation (KOH) Walk in Morristown, NJ. I was walking to honor and remember my longtime friend ML who passed away last year from ovarian cancer. The walk was cancelled due to rain and everyone was invited to attend the KOH walk in Bradley Beach on Sept 26th. Sadly, the Bradley Beach walk was also cancelled, this time due to the nor-easter that blasted the coast of NJ causing serious coastal flooding and damaging beaches. Feel free to donate to this wonderful organization that has been raising funds and supporting research for 20+ years. Many top researchers in ovarian cancer today have been supported by KOH as early career researchers. The list of researchers include Dr.Rachel Grisham, Dr. Fiona Simpkins and Dr. Sarah F. Adams. If you are able , please donate to support research at https://pro.gofundme.com/fundraiser/7515514 .
From Sept 16-17th the virtual OCRA International Gynecologic Cancer Conference was held. Videos from the conference are available online at https://ocrahope.org/news/ovarian-and-gynecologic-cancer-information-videos-conference-2026/ . The videos cover Ask the Expert sessions as well as how to manage different gynecologic cancers, survivorship, and how bench research can lead to treatments.
The Foundation for Women's Cancer held their Race to End Women's Cancer Weekend in Washington DC from September 18-20th . I've participated in the past but this year there was a conflict with the KOH walk. The weekend included a patient advocacy organization summit on Friday , a patient education session on Saturday and the walk on Sunday. More information about those days are available at https://foundationforwomenscancer.org/2026-race-to-end-womens-cancer-weekend-a-celebration-of-community-hope-and-impact/
Personally, I spent time this month with family and working on projects for my local historical society. Yesterday, I visited my cancer center for my annual check-up. I have a special long-term relationship with my advanced practice nurse, who I see annually. Even after so many years, I admit I was a little nervous. That feeling of anxiety about a recurrence is strong even after 20+ years. But not to worry, my CA 125 was 18, the same as last year, and my exam went well.
I am feeling blessed to be here and to be able to continue my advocacy - reviewing grants, sharing the survivor's perspective on care and long term effects and sharing the latest research.
Dee
Every Day is a Blessing!
No comments:
Post a Comment