Monday, July 29, 2024

Words That Changed My Life

Nineteen years ago today I heard the words, "I'm sorry Dee you have stage 3 B ovarian cancer and I will do everything to make you well." I would not be writing this blog if not for my diagnosis. What path would my life have taken if I had not heard those words? I will never know.

On this cancerversary, I am ever grateful to the two women gynecologic oncologists who brought me through two of the toughest moments of my life - my cancer diagnosis and my recurrence. Thank you Dr Lorna Rodriguez  and Dr Darlene Gibbon for your surgical skills, for offering me a clinical trial on initial diagnosis and for prompting me to apply to attend the LiveStrong Survivors Summit in 2006. Yes, all the advocacy work I have been able to accomplish is all because of these two amazing physicians. Their support through the years has been invaluable to me. 

I am thankful too for the wonderful advance practice nurses, infusion nurses and the pharmacists at Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey. They listened to my concerns, answered my questions and comforted me when I was anxious. 

When I was initially diagnosed I was tested for mutations in the BRCA 1 and 2 genes. Today we know that BRCA mutations cause 10% of the ovarian cancer diagnosed. Just this year, a study in Nature  titled Identification of potentially actionable genetic variants in epithelial ovarian cancer: a retrospective cohort study included this table of other mutations associated with ovarian cancer. 

Look at how extensive that list is today! We know so much more about risk factors and the mutations that cause ovarian cancer. Researchers have given me hope as they report at SGO and ASCO meetings  progress on the development of novel treatments that have led to FDA approvals the drugs bevacizumab, parp inhibitors and antibody drug conjugates for Folate receptor alpha + expressing tumors.

While my life has changed in so many ways, one thing has remained the same after nineteen years.  There is NO screening test for ovarian cancer. There have been many good efforts but not one test has turned out to be specific and sensitive enough to detect ovarian cancer. We have more work to do but I know the dedicated ovarian cancer researchers I have met through the years will continue working to find a test and therapies to extend life. 

Here's to seeing what the future will bring for me and all women diagnosed with ovarian cancer!

Dee

Every Day is a Blessing!


No comments: