Sunday, August 14, 2022

Thinking about Rest

Life has gotten busy the past few weeks and I realized that I have not posted to this blog in way too long.

Another survivor, Christine "Cissy" White, shared a blog post she wrote on LinkedIn using a writing prompt from Laura Davis. I loved Cissy's post. I thought maybe that was just what I need, a prompt to spark my writing.I decided to use the same prompt Cissy used.

 

Rest is not always easy.

At the beginning of each year I look at what advocacy activities I have planned for the year ahead and decide what large projects I would continue with. I ask myself if the activity brings me joy.  I know I sound like Marie Kondo and her advice about getting rid of clutter. For me that process worked well until recently. I started receiving special requests to help with clinical trial design, be a part of an advisory board and  review grants. As a cancer research advocate in what is considered a rare cancer,  I felt compelled to be involved in these opportunities. If I said "No" I would miss out on sharing my story and raising the issues that are important for women with gynecologic cancers. Was I letting myself and those who lost their lives to ovarian cancer down by not participating?  

Since Covid many events, symposiums, presentations were held virtually.The fact that travel costs were non-existent took funding my trips out of the decision making process. This just made things harder since I could take part from home. I knew I couldn't say yes to everything or I would burn out. I needed to look after myself.

Beginning in 2022, I started blocking out weeks at a time for family and friends.  I learned to turn down opportunities. But I did more than that. I decided to look at these opportunities as not opportunities for myself but for others. Every time I turned down an opportunity, I recommended another advocate or survivor who could step into that role. It is important that we advocates support each other. Now I can really rest and know that other patient/survivor voices are being heard.

When I rest... I feel calmer. I have more energy to do the advocacy work I am passionate about and I have time for my family and hobbies. 

Sometimes when I rest, I sketch or paint.

 


Dee

Every Day is a Blessing!

 

No comments: