Thursday, July 16, 2020

2020 Blogger Challenge

I am pleased to once again accept Nancy Stordahl's invitation to take part in her  Bloh Hop and  Challenge. 

Staying close to home - and enjoying picking local strawberries.
2020 Blog Challenge Questions:
1. Who are you? Tell us whatever you want about you and your blog.
I started blogging in 2007, two years after I was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. I had a hard time finding information and support so I decided to start to write about my journey and share important information with other women diagnosed with ovarian cancer.

2. What has been your biggest blogging challenge during this pandemic, and how have you been tackling it (or trying to)?
I have only written 11 blog posts since March. I felt guilty writing about ovarian cancer news or personal posts when family, neighbors and friends were dealing with or worried about COVID-19.
It wasn’t until the virtual ASCO Annual meeting that I felt comfortable and I began writing again.  I was able to combine the two topics– COVID-19’s impact on cancer patients and survivors.  

3. What is something you’ve accomplished with your blog that you’re most proud of?
My blog opened doors for me. It led me to amazing opportunities as a patient advocate. Sharing my blog with a wider audience is what prompted me to  join Twitter ( @womenofteal) in 2012. It was the Twitter connection I made with Christina Lisazo  and some gyn oncs and a radiation oncologist that spearheaded the community for those impacted by gynecologic cancer with. Which led me to other advocacy oppo Christina and I created - #gyncsm (gyncsm.blogspot.com) . It also led to other opportunities – co-authoring a book, attending ASCO Annual Meetings and presenting at three medical conferences.

4. Share two of your best blogging tips.
First , it is ok to not click “post” as soon as you are done with writing. Save it, step away and come back to do some finishing touches. I do this because I have chemo brain. Many times, I am unable to find the right word so I usually leave blank spots and come back to it later.
Second, keep an ongoing list of interesting topics / writing prompts for just that time when you are struggling to find a good topic.

5. What is one of your blogging goals this year?
Review and update the pages on my blog.  

6. When things get hard, what keeps you blogging, even if not regularly?
Eventually a research study catches my eye or touches my soul and I say to myself – “You should share this.”

7. What is a dream you have for your blog?
My blog was a dream of mine, so I think it is more my dream of spending more time trying to explain my experience through art. I love to paint and sketch.

8. Share a link to a favorite post you’ve written that you want more people to read.
I wish more cancer patients, survivors caregivers would read about how to take part in Twitter communities and chats. There are so many awesome cancer communities ( #gyncsm , #btcm, bcsm, #lcsm, #ayacsm ) offering information , support and tips to their participants.

If you are a blogger - any  blog topic is acceptable why don't you join us.Check out how to take part in Nancy's post ( link above). And be sure to check out the other blogs in her list. 


Dee
Every Day is a Blessing!

3 comments:

Nancy's Point said...

Hi Dee,

Gosh, you've been blogging longer than me! I'm so glad our paths crossed. You're a wonderful supporter and top-notch advocate who has helped so many. Enjoyed reading your responses. Thank you for participating again this summer, Dee.

Stay safe and stay well, friend. x

rhamrin said...

Nice to meet you, Dee! Only 11 posts since March? I had to laugh since I’ve only had 3! �� Anyway, I’m so happy for you with all the opportunities your blog has brought you. I love the name too — Women of Teal is awesome! I have two friends struggling with ovarian cancer at the moment. Both are on Doxil and having such a tough time with it. I will be sure to mention your blog to them. Thank you for your lovely blog and all your advocacy work!

Dee said...

Thanks Rhamrin for taking the time to read my post and to comment. Sorry to hear about your friends. If they have any questions have them reach out.If they are on twitter, my handle is @womenofteal , just like my blog name.

Dee