Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Reporting On This Year's ASCO Annual Meeting

I returned recently from the ASCO 2019 Annual Meeting. This meeting was one of the best I have attended. I had the opportunity to met in person for the first time advocates, physicians and nurses I had interacted with online - Facebook or Twitter.  I also met a number of advocates and health care providers from around the world - Australia, Canada, England, and Nigeria to name a few.

Dr Dickson and I - #ASCO19
I was invited to speak during a ticketed session titled A Fireside Chat What Patients Want From Providers in Gynecologic Cancer on Saturday afternoon.  My partner was Elizabeth Dickson-Michelson, a gynecologic oncologist. I shared what the gyn cancer patient needs and how to advocate for yourself and others while Dr Dickson focused on how health care professionals could provide the services both emotional and physical that patients need. We also shared the results of two studies, The WOCC Every Women Study and the Needs of Women Treated for Ovarian Cancer : Results from a #gyncsm Chat . I am extremely appreciative of the support provided to me by Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey which allowed my attendance at this meeting.

Before and after my presentation I was able to attend a number of very informative sessions in gynecologic cancer, communication and social media. If you didn't catch my live tweets from the meeting, over the next few days I will share information I learned on this blog. I will cover the Gyn Cancer Education Sessions  (Pharma to Table, Are We Hitting the Bulls Eye with Targeted Therapy,Wanna Get Away -Continuous vs Treatment Holidays, The More things Change OC Edition and Gyn Cancers: Is It Time to Put Away the Knife ) and two sessions dealing with communication ( Tweets Chats & Posts and Navigating a New Cancer Diagnosis), as well as an overview of the Gyn Cancer Oral Abstract Sessions and the Poster Discussion sessions. 

So Stand by --- or sit ---  more info is on its way.

Dee
Every Day is a Blessing!

  

No comments: