Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Chicago Here I Come - ASCO 2016


I'm excited to once again be heading to the American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting at McCormick Place,  Chicago from June 3rd to the 7th. This year's theme is Collective Wisdom - The Future of Patient-Centered Care and Research.  Thank you Conquer Cancer Foundation for supporting my attendance. I learned this morning that VP Joe Biden will be speaking to the attendees on Monday afternoon and I look forward to hearing him.

I've been using the ASCO Annual Meeting iPlanner the past few day to pick out the sessions I want to attend. There are education sessions, clinical science symposiums, oral abstract sessions, poster sessions and poster discussion sessions. With so many topics to choose from I had to narrow my search field to sessions on gynecologic cancers, survivorship and cancer prevention. With over 30,000 people expected to attend and the top researchers in the world presenting, it almost guarantees that there will be overlapping sessions where I will have to pick one.  Here is just a small sample of some of the education sessions I'll attend:


But there is more to the ASCO meeting than just attending presentations and looking at posters. My favorite part is making connections. I can connect with other advocates at the Research Advocacy Network dinner, meeting "twiends"at the #ASCO16 TweetUp and meet researchers in the Oncology Professional's Hall and at the ASCO President's Dinner.

Advocates are provided a special advocates lounge area- a great place to catch up with others, hear exciting news about ASCO and FDA programs, have a snack and relax. It is such a welcome area between sessions.

I'll be tweeting live from the meeting using the #ASCO16 and #gyncsm has tags. So follow me on twitter at @womenofteal and I'll share the latest research news with you. 

Dee
Every Day is a Blessing!

No comments: