Monday, April 6, 2009

A Fabulous KOH Gala

On Saturday night, Nick and I attended the Kaleidoscope of Hope Foundation Spring Gala at the Westin Gov Morris in Morristown, NJ. Thanks to the hard work of John Stewart and Ann Marie Battaglia and their scores of volunteers the night was a huge success. The event was well attended with tasty food, a fun to dance to band and nice silent auction items. I was outbid on the item I was bidding on.

Jo Jo Starbuck, Olympic figure skating medalist was the MC for the night. The Founders Award -an engraved kaleidoscope - went to the Hematology and Oncology Associates of northern NJ for their support of KOH. The Foundation also presented research grants to Janet Sawicki, Ph.D. ( Lankenau Institute) for her research into siRNA and Selva Karuppaiyah, Ph.D. ( The Ohio State University) for his research into STAT 3 inhibitors. The Cancer Institute of NJ received the Gail MacNeil Scholar Award and the Gynecological Cancer Foundation also received funding for early detection grants .

To me the best part of the evening was speaking to so many people whose lives have been touched by ovarian cancer. There were survivors, caregivers, family , friends, researchers, oncologists and gynecological oncologists as well as representatives from other OC organizations like Lynn from the Northern NJ NOCC, and Adrian from the Sandy Rollman Foundation. I enjoyed chatting with my doctors from CINJ wearing something other than those silly hospital gowns or being attached via my port to an IV pole. Actually we all danced to the song "I will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor. Priceless!

Thanks to everyone who supports KOH and their mission to find an early detection test and a cure.

Livestrong

Dee
Every Day is a Blessing ! "I will Survive" ......

No comments: