Saturday, February 18, 2012

"In sickness and in health"

The true test of any relationship is when one of the individuals becomes ill. In the past seven years, I have had two major abdominal surgeries, 15 chemo treatments, a heart catheterization, 1 MRI, 3 PET scans, 15 CT scans , and countless blood tests and port flushes. Nick has been there every step of the way.

In the course of our marriage Nick has been ill and in the hospital one time, thirteen years ago. During the past week I have been the one making the trips to the hospital, eating the cafeteria food, making the insurance phone calls, keeping family and friends up-to-date on how things were going. And when I came home I was the one taking care of things around the house from taking care of the dogs to paying bills to putting out the garbage and recycling. I have a new found understanding of what the past seven years has been like for Nick. It has been emotionally and physically exhausting but I would not want to do or be anywhere else except here by his side every step of the way.
Dee
Every Day is a Blessing!

2 comments:

WhiteStone said...

My hubby and I take turns. When he's down, I'm healthy enough to be the caregiver. And when I'm down, he's the one in charge. We're grateful that we have each other!
(We know every hospital within a 65 mile radius. *wry smile!*)

Allison said...

That is living out your vows. We said them years ago and sometimes, they come to life more obviously than other times. So happy you two are a blessing to one another.