Sunday, June 20, 2010

Pipes, Cigars, A Moustache & Tomato plants

When I think of my dad I think of his moustache, the pipes he used as a plumber and the pipes he smoked. And I can't forget those silly and stinky stogie ( don't know if I spelled that correctly) cigars or the garden he kept on Munn Avenue. He grew tomatoes and filled in the garden with peppers and zucchini too.

I can remember him coming home for lunch and asking for tomatoes with mayonnaise on two pieces of Italian bread. Delicious !!! Nothing like Jersey Tomatoes.

When we were home from school my sisters and I would answer the phone for his plumbing business. It seems like my dad was always on call. Didn't matter if is was late at night or on the weekend he would get in his truck and head out when his customers called about broken pipes or furnace problems. We got to know the customers pretty well. One customer , whose name I don't recall now, gave my father a poem when I was finishing elementary school. My father said I should memorize it. Well I did and I still remember it.


Believe in yourself and step out unafraid,
By misgivings and doubts be not easily swayed,
The wisdom of ages is yours if you'll read
But you've got to believe in yourself to succeed.

Thanks Dad .

Happy Father's Day , Nick !


Dee
Every Day is a Blessing. I have been blessed by a father who gave everything so that his daughters could succeed. And I am blessed with a loving husband who is a great dad.

1 comment:

Denise said...

My dad worked for a gas company when i was little so I know what On Call means. LOL. He hated being on call over the weekends because he was always afraid that he would get into something he would not know how to fix...... and for good reason. He had once gotten to a place that had been installed by another company with equip he was never trained on. A series of events caused an explosion to which he and the owner were badly burned and another employee also had burns. Even though it happened 30 years ago, he still won't talk about that time and, since I had cancer, i can understand why.