Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Birthdays and Facebook

Yesterday was my birthday. Pretty big deal for me since back in 2005 I was not too sure I'd make it to my birthday in 2006.

I don't know if it is because I am getting older and don't need lots of gifts or big parties. Or if it is because I am a cancer survivor and things are nice to have, but not as important in the bigger scheme of things. Having time to experience things and people in one's life are what counts.

Now don't get me wrong the pearl earrings my husband bought me are beautiful. But Nick's decision to make that last minute trip to Vic's for thin crust pizza and being able to walk on the boardwalk in Avon really made the day. Or maybe it was walking on the beach and sticking my toes in the chilly ocean water was it.

The cards that came in the mail over the past few days were wonderful too. A few I read and just went "Ahhhh" . There were the phone calls ,voice mail messages and text messages too.

Then what a pleasant surprise I had last night when I went to my profile page on Facebook . I'd left messages in the past when it was my friend's birthdays. But here were birthday messages from family, friends, my children's friends and former students. There were greetings from my fellow ovarian cancer survivors from across the Atlantic ( I was so chuffed), ladies from my support group and friends from organizations I belong to here in the US. And there were messages from cancer survivors I met through the Lance Armstrong Foundation - some I hadn't seen in person for years. Sometimes I think I spend too much time on Facebook but nurturing all these relationships even from miles away makes it worth it. It helped to make my day special.

Thank you everyone- you have blessed my life.

Dee
Every Day is a Blessing!

1 comment:

OvarianCancerandUs said...

Belated happy birthday, Dee and so happy you are still with us! May you have many, many more happy birthdays.