Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Life is Good-LHJ article


Yesterday I read a very interesting article in the Ladies Home Journal March 2010 issue. It was called Life is Good ...Don't Miss it. The article spoke about mindfulness- the practice of keeping focus on the present moment. Women especially are used to multi-tasking so that they tend to miss things that are going on in the present moment. A clinical psychologist mentioned in the article that multi-tasking may actually not make things go faster but make things more confusing.Recommendations in the article include:
  • Taking a deep breath( yoga, mediation, slow breathing)
  • Unplug your gadgets ( Do you really need to answer your cell phone while out at dinner? Do you really need to update your facebook status or twitter so many times?
  • Take time out of the busyness of your day and take a mental break
  • Let yourself be happy- (What are you grateful for?)

I find that lately I can not multi-task like I used too. There are scientifically documented effects from chemotherapy known as chemo-brain. I know I experience this. I laugh about it some times and I am happy when my family can fill in the lost words but it does get frustrating to not be able to communicate as well as I used to. So in a way treatment has forced me to take it slower. Concentrate on one thing at a time. Appreciate the day as it is actually happening.

A few nights ago my daughter and I were out walking her dog. It is very dark in the area and it was a clear, cold night. The stars were so bright that I said aloud, " Look at those stars!". I knew they were the same constellations I can see in NJ but somehow they were different - brighter, more distinct. If I hadn't bundled up and decided to take that short walk I would have missed the beauty of the night sky.

Check out the article if you get a chance. And take a minute tonight to look up at the sky.

Dee

Every Day is a Blessing! I am blessed by my faith.

(Photo courtesy of the Bridgewater State College Outdoor Adventurers club. )

No comments: