Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Cecile and Ken Youner Fund for Cancer Research

In May of 2007, I met Dr. Ken Youner. He, a kidney cancer sufferer and I were chosen as LiveStrong Day 2007 delegates from New Jersey. We hit it off fabulously talking about our spouses (His wife Cecile was a breast cancer survivor) and children as well as our commitments to the LAF and cancer advocacy. We had a successful day on Capital Hill visiting Senators Lautenberg's and Menendez's representatives as well as Ken's representative Congressman Rothman. This July, I ran in to Ken again at the LiveStrong Summit in Ohio where I learned he was the Livestrong Army Northern NJ leader.

In December, I learned that Cecile had passed away.

Here is a portion of the e-mail that Ken wrote me:

Before Cecile died she told me that I should continue fighting for both of us. I will continue doing work for these organizations(LAF,etc). However in order to make sure the funds are directed to where they will make the most impact I have formed the Cecile and Ken Youner Fund for Cancer Research. I have spent the last 4 years evaluating cancer research to see where funding should go. To streamline giving and maximize the use of charitable funds, the Fund is managed by FJC-A Foundation of Philanthropic Funds (www.fjc.org). All funds will go directly to fund innovative cancer research.

This is an exciting time in cancer research. Scientists are starting to understand the molecular genetics of cancer. This research will continue to reveal answers to help treat and prevent the spectrum of diseases that cancer represents. Cancer is the leading cause of death in people below the age of 85. It will affect the lives of 2 of 3 men and 1 of 2 women in the US. As Lance Armstrong notes-fighting cancer is everyone’s obligation.

Take definitive action now. You can send a check directly to FJC at 520 Eighth Ave. NY, NY 10018. Note CKYFCR in the memo to make sure it goes to the correct place. You can send the check to me (277 Maple St Englewood, NJ 0731) or you can donate on the web at www.fjc.org. All donations of more than $250 will automatically receive a letter for the IRS. Any donation will receive a letter if requested.

Please consider donating to the The Cecile and Ken Youner Fund for Cancer Research.

Livestrong ,
Dee
Every Day is a Blessing .

No comments: