Friday, December 19, 2008

The Big 'C' - Poem by Kathy Cawthon

"The Big 'C'"
by Kathy Cawthon, Survivor

"The big 'C'" I heard someone call it.
Another just whispered the word.
That we don't even dare to say "cancer" out loud
Gives it power it doesn't deserve.

So I'm giving that letter new meaning
And refusing to give in to fear.
I'm reclaiming the power for you and for me
By saying these words loud and clear:

Let the "c" be for "cure" and "compassion."
Let it stand for the "candles" we light.
And a "chorus" of voices shouting "You 'can'!"
To all who will take up this fight.

Let the "c" be for "cash contribution."
"Credit" or "check" will work, too!
Let it stand for "commitment" and "check- ups"
and "cheer"
And the "children" "counting" on you.

Let it mean that we know our "Creator"
Is beside us each step of the way,
And remind us to "call" on His strength and His love
And to "celebrate" every new day.

To everyone facing this "challenge,"
I say it's a fight we will win.
Tell all who will listen that, starting today,
The "c" is for "COURAGE," my friend.






Roger and Kathy Cawthon
The Cancer Crusade

Back in 2005 when I was first diagnosed, someone sent me a link to the Survivor Movie. From there I signed up for e-mails from Roger and Kathy Cawthon, both survivors who founded The Cancer Crusade.Their most recent e-mail included the Big 'C' poem. I know I have older relatives who still call cancer the big C.

LIVESTRONG
Dee
Every Day is a Blessing

.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Wow! This touched on so many issues that people (well wishers, caregivers, coworkers) tend to overlook.