Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sharing a Cancer Diagnosis - Sometimes It Takes Time

When I was first diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer in 2005 , I told my family and close friends. I told my employer, a local all boys high school, about my surgery and treatment. I even had a letter to my students published in the school newspaper. In the letter I told them I had ovarian cancer, that I was going take part in a clinical trial, that I would be bald , and why I would not be able to teach while I was in treatment. I also asked my students to share information about ovarian cancer with their mom, grandmas, sisters and aunts.

Because I was enrolled in that clinical trial, I was asked in early 2006 to share my story in the Star-Ledger, a state-wide newspaper. I spoke to the reporter for about a half hour and then she asked me if she could use my full name and send a photographer to my house to take some photos. I was ok with having a photo taken. I was bald and pale but that really didn't bother me that much. But at that time, two short months after my diagnosis I was just not ready to share my story with more than my local community.What I was not ready to do was to have one of my students read about the survival rate and think I would not survive. I don't think even I wanted to face those statistics at that time. So I declined having my story published.

How things have changed during the past few years. I found my voice. I think making it through that first year and end up in remission gave me the strength to become an ovarian cancer advocate. Since that first request I have told my story in this blog, on two different ovarian cancer foundation websites, in NJ Monthly, on the TV show Good Morning NY, at a number of ovarian cancer foundation events and in numerous local and state newspapers. I kept telling my story even after I recurred in 2008. Why ? Because women need to know that others do survive a late stage ovarian cancer diagnosis.

Yet there are other women who do not want to share their story. It is their right to share as much or as little of their journey as they would like. And you know ... that is ok.

So why did I choose today to write about sharing a cancer diagnosis? A number of business news shows this morning reported that Apple CEO, Steven Jobs was taking a medical leave of absence. There was lots of speculation as too why he needed the leave including his pancreatic cancer diagnosis, how he looked at the last meeting and his liver transplant. CNBC interviewed and ethicist regarding what information Apple should or should not release about this leave. An Apple media release stated that Steve Jobs will still be involved in important decisions but the COO , Tim Cook, will be responsible for the day to day operations.

Steve Jobs might be a CEO but he is also a person with a family. So folks let us give him a little room to deal with whatever is causing him to take this leave. When the time is right for Steve Jobs to share with the world what is happening he will. And we need to respect him as a survivor to make that choice.

Dee
Ever Day is a Blessing!

2 comments:

Sami said...

Dee- I love that you have found your voice and are sharing your story. I lost my mom to stage 4 ovarian cancer three years ago when I was 19, and, after the immense grieving stages ceased, I find it so important to remind myself that although some women die, there are still those who survive. It is crucial that I remember that since cancer is so common in my family. Through my life I have always followed in my mother's shoes, and this is the one instance where I don't want to. Thanks for reminding me that cancer and death are not synonymous. People like you give me so much hope for a long, healthy life. xo

Dee said...

Sami
Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love your blog. I worry about my daughter and her risk for the disease too. At least she is aware of the disease- something that was not on my radar - even with a sister who passed away form Breast cancer.

My hope is that as more survivor stories are shared more women will catch the disease early. Of course more research $ would help too.

Dee