Monday, October 5, 2009

Honoring my Lifesaver!


On Saturday night Nick, my sister-in-law, Denise and I attending the Cancer Institute of New Jersey Foundation's Award of Hope Gala and Benefit Auction.

One of my lifesavers, my gynecological oncologist, Dr Darlene Gibbon was honored with the Leadership in Patient Care Award. Sheri McCoy, worldwide chairman, Pharmaceuticals Group of Johnson and Johnson was presented the Award of Hope. The black tie event was held at the Hyatt Regency in New Brunswick.

Two other ovarian cancer survivors, a caregiver and I had been filmed in August for the video part of the presentation. John R., the film maker,did an outstanding job capturing the essence of Dr Gibbon's care of her patients. None of us had seen the finished product. I must admit it was very moving to say the least - and I had heard most of what we had said. By the end of the video all four of us were on stage to ask Darlene to accept her award.

How does Dr Gibbon practice medicine? Her patients are treated as individuals each with their own special needs and Darlene combines the science of the medicine used to treat ovarian cancer with compassion and hope . Thank you Dr Gibbon.

LiveSTRONG

Dee

Every Day is a Blessing! My life has been blessed by my doctor, Darlene Gibbon.

No comments: