Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Have You Ever Been Happy to Renew Your Driver's License?

Recently I received my NJ driver's license renewal form in the mail. On the top of the form it stated that I needed to visit a NJ Motor Vehicle Commission to complete the process. I was so excited I couldn't wait to go. I can see you are thinking to yourself as you read this " No one likes to visit the DMV , what is wrong with you!"

No, there is nothing wrong with me. I am just really happy. To explain I will need to take you back in time to July of 2006. Back when I dreaded having to renew my license.  Why? Just four months before I had finished my ninth and final chemotherapy treatment and was disease free. I was trying to get back to normal and now I had to get a photo license. ( A state requirement since 9/11) . The hair on my head was not even an inch long. I just didn't want to go. In addition , the new licenses were issued for 6 years. Would I even be here in 6 years? Well I put off the renewal as long as I could and then went to the DMV and had my photo taken.

So for the past 6 years I have been walking around with a photo of me with very little hair. Then my hair grew longer and those checking ID at the airport spent a bit more time looking closely at me and then back at my ID. Who knew that the photo on my license and my appearance would match again in 2009 when I was being treated for a recurrence. Most of the time since then I have been changing my hairstyle and growing my hair.

How pleased I was today to be spending time at the Motor Vehicle Commission office waiting to renew my license. They checked my paper work (twice) and I paid my fee. Then I was asked if I wanted to keep the current photo. I said, "No thank you,  I  think I want one with hair this time". The woman smiled and took my photo. As I showed Nick my new license I said " You know I never thought I would be doing this 6 years later ." He gave me a big hug.


Dee
Every Day is a Blessing!

1 comment:

Lisa Rittierodt said...

Hi Dee -
I loved this post that you wrote. I've been following you for a little while. I love all the places you find that support ovarian cacner research. I wish there was more where I live.
Thank you for adding my blog walking with cancer. Your's is on mine as well. Together we can help others learn that you can get through things like this.
Lisa