Sunday, June 3, 2012

ASCO Saturday - International session on OC

Note :
This post is a summary of the sessions I attended on Saturday. When  I am back home I will write more detailed entries of the sessions I found most interesting.

My day started with presentations on SNaPshot, a molecular diagnostic test that looked at tumors. The tumors they studied had mutations in  72 areas in 15 genes for ovarian cancer.The question the researcher asked was if these mutations were "drugable",  were there drugs available to correct the mutation found. There was also a talk on somatic mutation detection . The comment was made that "drugable" targets in ovarian cancer were limited.

The afternoon sessions was even more informative. At an international session I heard about the benefits of IP vs IV chemotherapy for ovarian cancer . Many IP studies included the use of Avastin. Some studies mentioned in the talk  were at  reduced Avastin dose levels to  reduce adverse gastrointestinal effects and methods are in place to treat the blood pressure increases seen in some patients. I also heard about Dose Dense Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for Ovarian Cancer & Parp inhibitor use.

The day finished with presentations and discussions on erlotinib, olaparib , and the AURELIA study. I will post in more detail about theses studies and subsequent discussion next week.

The bottom line is that there is more research being done every day to understand the pathways what drives ovarian cancer growth.And that is a good thing.  Finding a drug, biologic or small molecule that will affect the process in primary and recurrent disease is the challenge. I am happy to report that there are researchers doing that work.

Dee
Every Day is a Blessing!

2 comments:

Maggie said...

I found few things which are very interesting to know.If you are willing to write, I will be interesting to know more.
here is some information I have gather during my study...
http://www.ecancerchemotherapy.com/

Catherine said...

Sounds like a giant learning experience! Thanks for sharing, and I look forward to reading your highlighted posts on this session.

Catherine
FacingCancer.ca