- 14.4% of adults in NJ identified themselves as smokers.
- Smoking causes cancer , heart disease, stroke and lung diseases.
- Each cigarette contains 2 mg of nicotine
- Nicotine stimulates dopamine release in the brain.
- Smoking 16-25 cigarettes a day increases risk for Type 2 diabetes to three times that of a non-smoker.
- Second hand smoke contains about 70 different chemicals.
- Thirdhand smoke refers to toxins from cigarette smoke that stick to soft /porous surfaces.
- All hospitals in NJ are now smoke-free.
Wednesday, October 19, 2011
Smoke Free for a Healthy NJ
Yesterday, I attended the Mercer County Cancer Coalition meeting.
The first hour of the meeting was a presentation by Cathy Butler the Program Coordinator of Mom's Quit Connection . The Connection reaches out to pregnant and new mothers in NJ to help them quit smoking. Honestly before this meeting I didn't know this group existed.
The presentation called "Ask. Advise. Refer." taught how to deliver effective smoking cessation advice and how to refer others to Mom's quit Connection and the NJ Quitline . It also presented information about tobacco use in NJ , disease caused by smoking , second hand smoke and third hand smoke.
Did you know?
Feel free to learn more about how to stop smoking by checking out these websites:
It is not easy to stop smoking but it will not get any easier the longer you wait.
Every Day is a Blessing!