Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Words from an OC Survivor

I participate in the online OCNA Support Community. Another women posted this essay about her experience with Ovarian Cancer . It really says it all. Thanks Ch*******s for letting me share it.


Ovarian cancer crept into my life undetected. I didn't know it was there, and so I didn't fight, kick or scream. It simply moved into my abdomen and made a home. I don't know how long it had been there before it was detected. Years, maybe. It stole life as I knew it.

It sits on a cliff above my consciousness. It is always there, and I know it. I try to ignore it most days, but it is waiting. At some point it may hurl itself into my life again, and I will have to battle once more. I am watching. I am waiting.

If it attacks again, I won't be so shocked or surprised. I am more prepared. I have an army of supporters and knowledge that I didn't have before. I am aware that the thief may come back, but I don't choose to live my life in fear. I will remain optimistic that I will remain cancer free.

The thief may ultimately take my life, but it won't be today. It won't be tomorrow. I can live life to the fullest, savor every moment. I won't hold back anything. I will ignore minor problems and enjoy all the wonderful people and times in my life. For the moment, the thief is handcuffed, and I am glad.

Dee

Every Day is a blessing! Today I was blessed with warm sunshine and a bunny visiting my backyard.

No comments: