Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Being an e-patient

Over the past few years I have used the Internet to share my story and information on ovarian cancer symptoms and research. I write this blog, tweet , share info on facebook and now co-moderate the #gyncsm tweet chat on Twitter. In addition to sharing information on the Internet I also learn from it. I take part in webinars on ovarian cancer treatments and watch U-tube videos provided by different ovarian cancer organizations.


When I started to follow Stanford Medicine X on Twitter and Facebook I learned that there is a name for what I am . I am an e-patient.  


ePatient (e!pa!tient/e‘p"SH#nt/): 1. A health consumer who uses the Internet to gather information about a medical condition of particular interest to them, and who use electronic communication tools (including Web 2.0 tools) in coping with medical conditions. 2. Friends and family members (e-Caregivers) who go online on behalf of patients. (MedX definition) 

In January, I applied to be an e-patient at the Stanford MedicineX conference in September. I became a finalist and had an interview, Google Hangout style. I'm glad I was used to doing Google Hangouts with my daughter and her family so my nervousness was just with having the interview. I was thrilled when I opened my e-mail on February 2nd to learn I was chosen to be a delegate and will take part in the Design Challenge working on a patient designed project with other healthcare stakeholders and the firm, IDEO.

On Monday February 3rd, Dr Larry Chu announced the winners on the MedX blog. When I read the list of delegate names I was happy to see women I know through the #bcsm chat and other patient groups. I can't wait to meet all of them in person.

I will have some work to do before the conference and I look forward to spending time and learning from other e-patients like myself.


Dee
Every Day is a Blessing!


2 comments:

Carey said...

Awesome! Represent us!

FacingCancer.ca said...

That is wonderful news, congrats!!