Friday, January 25, 2013

A Procedure with Pictures

I spent the day on Tuesday prepping for my colonoscopy. Yes even cancer survivors need to have regular screening tests. I had my last one a little over 5 years ago. When I went to see Dr. M-P, my gastroenterologist, in November about some issues I was having, she recommended I have the test but thought it was ok to wait until January.

The prep this time was actually pretty palatable. It was clear liquids only on Tuesday. Then I took Dulcolax pills and drank a Miralax/ Gatorade drink the evening before and morning of.  In the early afternoon Nick drove me up to the Ambulatory Surgical group to have the procedure done. I was feeling good.

The hardest part of the entire procedure was finding a vein for the IV. I am a bad stick. The veins are hidden and the prep didn't help the situation. One of anesthesiologists in the group came out and was able to find a vein in my hand and we were ready to go. I was able to feel when she entered the vein and told her so. She told me that it is very unusual for a patient to feel exactly when the needle is in. It is just like me to be unusual - I feel it every time.

After being brought into the procedure room,  I chatted with the anesthesiologist, technician , nurse and my gastroenterologist, turned on my left side and quickly went to sleep. A little while later ( the procedure itself only took 30 minutes) I woke up to a very nice nurse telling me the doctor would be out to see me soon.  She then asked me what I would like to drink - tea, coffee, juice or  water. I felt a little cold so I opted for the tea. I realized how hungry I was after quickly eating the saltine she brought with the tea.

When Dr M-P came out she told me everything looked normal. Here is the funny part. Along with the procedure report were a series of 8 photos of the inside of my colon. Now I have seen different parts of my body in CT scans, ultrasounds and MRI's but this was the first time I saw my colon in living color. What a view!

So if you read this blog, are over 50 and have not had a colonoscopy go ahead and make the appointment - it really isn't a bad procedure at all.

Dee
Every Day is a Blessing!

No comments: