Thursday, September 15, 2011

On the back burner

Usually September is a very busy month for me. For the past 5 years every September I have committed countless hours participating in ovarian cancer awareness events- giving talks, hanging ribbons, raising money for research etc. ( September is National Ovarian Cancer Awareness month.) I feel strongly that all people, men and women from legislators to teenage girls, hear about ovarian cancer symptoms, the way the disease affects a women's life, the need for an early detection test and the important research that still needs to be done in order to understand the disease and find a cure.

So far, September 2011 has been different. I have been spending my days away from home helping my daughter and son-in-law with their new son. I am tired but thrilled to be able to help them and get to know my new grandson. My ovarian cancer diagnosis and my advocacy work has been the furthest thing from my mind these past few weeks. I wake up thinking about John not about cancer.

Mentally I feel different too. I have reached another milestone in life - becoming a grandparent. Meeting a grandchild was something I never thought in a million years I would have the opportunity to do 6 years ago. Heck,in July of 2005 I didn't think I would make it to my niece's wedding the following May. And here I am experiencing this wonderful part of life.

My advocacy work will continue. Right now it is just on the back burner.So watch out September 2012- there will be teal toes, teal walks, teal talks and teal ribbons. Just not anything on the 2nd because that is Theresa's special day and not the 6th because that will be John's birthday celebration!

If you are interested in ovarian cancer events in NJ that will occur during the rest of the month please click on the link to my Events page.

Dee
Every Day is a Blessing! John is the new blessing in my life.

No comments: