Monday, May 3, 2010

Fun Times at the Teal Tea




Yesterday, I meet up with my friends Ann and Linda and we had a blast attending The Teal Tea Foundation's 4th Annual Teal Tea at the Hyatt Regency in Princeton, NJ. Last year, when I attended the Tea I was pale and tired and wore a scarf to cover my bald head. This year my hair is back and I enjoyed the good food, delicious teas and wonderful company of other survivors.

All three of us sat at a table captained by Ariel. She is the one who designed that lovely New Orleans themed centerpiece you can see above. Each table's captain created a table which had a unique theme. One table were swing dancers, another the roaring 20's , there were characters from Alice in Wonderland , a prayer fountain, and a backyard swing set. The table winner was "A Night at the Movies" - complete with bowls of popcorn made of flowers and an assortment of candy. Of course teal was the prominent color many of the floral arrangements used on other tables.

I was able to take chances on a number of wonderful prizes at the silent auction. Sadly, I did not win the stain-glass window or the Vera Bradley bag. There were teal t-shirts and jewelry for sale and even specially made teas.

The guest speaker was Dr Wendy Warner who spoke about reducing stress and learning resiliency. We even had time to practice a relaxation technique. I dreamed I was back in Alaska look up at Mount McKinley. Then the Keynote speaker Suzanne Garber, COO of the Americas Region for International SOS Assistance Inc, and ovarian cancer survivor had the audience clapping their hands , laughing and cheering. Mrs. Sharon Parker , Owner of Boehm Porcelain and a cancer survivor unveiled the special vase and porcelain flower created just for the Teal Tea Foundation. It was beautiful!

What a fun day and way to raise funds for ovarian cancer research especially when those funds will be used to support research at the Cancer Institute of NJ.
Great job Jean, Shari and your Teal Tea Committee for a pleasant afternoon.

Dee
Every day is a Blessing!

No comments: