Tuesday, September 26, 2023

A Radio Interview !

 

Alka Agrawal and I met through the Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey's Cancer Community Action Board. Alka is the general manager of EBC Radio 1170 radio located in Monmouth Junction, NJ.

EBC Radio is the largest South Asian radio station in the United States through radio,  app and website. They have over 500,000 listeners.

Alka invited me to tell her listeners about my experience with ovarian cancer and the importance of raising awareness of ovarian cancers and all gynecologic cancers during September, Gynecologic Cancer Awareness month. I was a bit nervous at first having never been on the radio before but Alka made me feel comfortable.  I shared how I was diagnosed, considered a clinical trial and my cancer treatments. I also shared my involvement in cancer advocacy.  I spoke mainly about ovarian cancer but did talk about the five main gynecologic cancers - ovarian, uterine/endometrial, cervical,vaginal and vulvar.

I was honored to share my story with the South Asian community in NJ and across the country through EBC Radio.

If you click the arrow below you may listen to a clip from my interview. Correction : The American Cancer Society estimates that ~ 19,710 women will be diagnosed with ovarian cancer the US in 2023. They also estimate that ~650 women in NJ will be diagnosed with the disease. That would be 3% not 1/3.

Dee
Every Day is a Blessing!

No comments: