Monday, November 23, 2020

Thankful

In years past we have traveled to spend time with family and friends on Thanksgiving. We've celebrated  in Georgia, Alabama, Virginia and Kentucky. And last year, we hosted dinner in our home.Oh how I enjoy the smell of turkey roasting in the oven.

This year we had planned to gather in DisneyWorld and celebrate the holiday with our daughter and son and their families.  But with the risk of Covid 19 high and quarantine restrictions in place, staying home is the best choice for us. This year will be different for sure. Just Nick and I and the dogs intensely watching us eat turkey and stuffing and sweet potatoes.  When I was in cancer treatment and unable to make a lot of the family gatherings, I was sad but I made it through. I expect we will all make it work from a distance this year too. And I know when we do get together and give each other hugs, it will be wonderful! 

Covid has changed a lot in 2020 - no hugs, no house visitors, no trips to far away places.  But the one thing Covid-19 can not change is how much I am thankful for this year.

My husband - My rock, best friend and a wonderful caregiver.

My daughter, son-in-law and grandsons -  You make me smile even though you live half way around the world.  It was a blessing for you to stay with us for 5 months earlier this year (Thanks to Covid19.).

My son and daughter-in-law - You are amazing. Without hesitation you opened your hearts and home to another dog, Ziti, who found you as she wandered through your neighborhood. She may miss her puppies but she has a whole new wonderful family. 

Family members and friends too numerous to mention by name. Your love and support  - phone calls and texts - are a blessing to me.

My fellow cancer survivors and advocates - You inspire me and together we can make a difference in the lives of cancer patients and survivors.

My dog, Amber - She is always ready to share her unconditional love and loves to jump and weave. Walter, the pug -You can make me smile just by the tilt of your head. 

Skype, Zoom, Facebook Messenger -  Platforms that allow us in numerous states and around the world to spend some time together this holiday.

And as with every year for the past fifteen, I am especially thankful for...
the doctors, nurses and social workers at Rutgers Cancer Institute of NJ. I would not be writing this if not for the excellent care you provided and continue to provide me. 
 
 




I will end this post as I usually do - Every Day is a Blessing!

Dee
 
 


 

No comments: