Thursday, August 8, 2019

A Long life and What I Forgot

On July 26, my husband and I drove up to Westchester County to see my dear mother-in-law. She has been in a nursing home a number of years dealing with Alzheimers.  She was a few months shy of her 100th birthday and her health was declining. I used that visit to show her photos of her great-grand sons, to tell her how important she was in my life and how awesome a mom, grandmother and great-grandmother she was. I am so glad I had that opportunity.

The next day in the afternoon we received the call that she had passed away. The next few days were spent getting things in order for her services and funeral. My son and daughter decided to fly in so we made a trip to the Philly airport  to pick them up - they arrived within 5 minutes of each other in the wee hours of the morning last  Wednesday. The next two days were spent in Brooklyn for the services. Spending time with my husband's family (many who flew in from out of state) and old friends was special. I value the years I have been a part of this wonderful family and I was happy to have so many memories when we celebrated her life. While we were busy celebrating her long life many of our friends and family helped to made our life easier. They sent mass card, condolences and food. Others helped take in the mail, put out the garbage and walk the dogs.

Our children flew back to their spouses and kids on August 6th and for the past few days my husband and I have been catching up on sleep and getting back to the things we had put to the side for the past ten days.

When I got back to my advocacy on Twitter, I  saw Christina's post that #gyncsm is almost 6 years old. It was then that  I realized that I had totally forgot my cancerversary.

On July 29th I celebrated 14 years as an ovarian cancer survivor.  I so appreciate my doctors at Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey for making these years possible and I can't thank my family and friends enough for being by my side during treatments and for so many years after.

Deeply grateful,

Dee
Every Day is a Blessing


1 comment:

Nancy's Point said...

Hi Dee,
I am sorry to hear your MIL died. My MIL is 92 and still holding her own, though she is now in a nursing home. Thankfully, she's adapted really well. I am grateful to still have her in my life, but your loss makes me think about that day that will come in the not too far off future. Considering all that's been going on in your life, it's no wonder you forgot that date. Very glad you're still here, Dee. Here's to many more years. Condolences to you and your family. x