Thursday, February 11, 2016

An Amazing Advocate and Friend

I hated opening my e-mail on Monday afternoon. It's title was simply, "Carole". I knew before I opened it what it would say. Carole had been in hospice the past few weeks. She passed away on Sunday, February 7th, her 60th birthday. She had thrived 9 years after her initial ovarian cancer diagnosis.

Carole was more than just another women with ovarian cancer, she was my friend. We first met at the gyn cancer networking group at the Cancer Support Community of Central NJ. We talked family, BRCA mutations, gynecologic oncologists, awareness and the latest research. We both served on the Board of the Kaleidoscope of Hope Foundation (KOH). Carole was serving in the role of President when she passed away.

Our paths intersected once more when she and I volunteered with the Cancer Hope Network. She loved sharing her story and supporting newly diagnosed women especially those with the BRCA mutations.

She was a wife, mother, teacher and had dedicated herself to raising awareness of ovarian cancer among women in NJ as well as raising funds for research. She loved to travel.  Carole had traveled the world -Europe, South America, Asia. Her home living room was decorated with beautiful Asian works of art.

She thrived as she lived with cancer and was an inspiration to so many. "She never let illness slow her down and ended her battle, as always, on her own terms. " You may read more about her here and on the KOH website here.

Those who advocated along side her will be honored to continue her work raising awareness and supporting research to find a cure. Carole made an impact on my life and I will miss her. Donations in her memory may be made to KOH on their website

Dee
Every Day is a Blessing! I was blessed to have Carole in my life. 





2 comments:

CareAcross said...

Very sorry to hear that...
But... Thank you for using the word "thrive".

Holly Kay Sparkman said...

So sorry to read about Carole. I could tell that she was a special friend. Carry on the fight! Love your blog.