As a gynecologic cancer survivor I knew that the Pap test is for cervical cancer not ovarian cancer. I knew that almost all cervical cancers are caused by the Human Papilloma Virus. I even knew about the vaccinations available to prevent cervical cancer ( Gardasil and Cervarix).
But this chat taught me so much more. Here are some of the key points I learned about . .
- United States 2014 cervical cancer estimates -
- Any woman can get cervical cancer.
- Early stages have no symptoms.
- Curable if caught early. Caught early with the Pap test.
- The vaccination can prevent the disease.
- Do you know where your Cervix is? Tamika mentioned that many woman don't know.
- There is a stigma/ shame associated with cervical cancer.
- There are 4 types of HPV.
- Only 1/3 of girls eligible for the vaccine have taken it.
- Treatment of cervical cancer can affect fertility.
If you want to learn more and view some excellent resources check out the #gyncsm blog at
Every Day is a Blessing!