Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Going Back to Before my New New Normal

This past weekend I went back to a place that I haven't been since my new new normal began in 2009. Along with my cousin and her family we drove up to the Pocono's for our stay at Woodloch Resorts. This was our 19th visit to Woodloch,  a Kiesandahl Family business since 1958. We've been going around President's Day since my kids were small and the resort was known as Woodloch Pines. It has grown over the years and from what we hear will continue to bring us good family fun for years to come.

This weekend was like going to visit an old family friend. We had the same rooms we've had for years. Our  rooms are close to the indoor swimming pool and the resort is on a lake so the view from our room is just so pretty.
Pines and lake view from our window


What is a weekend at Woodloch is like? The best way to describe it is as a cruise on land. There was lots of good food, and activities ( swimming,  snow tube runs, zumba,  and games like Family Feud andSmart Alec). 

On Saturday night we enjoyed a night club show "All Things Italian", a comedian and the music of Sam, and "The Company". We've been enjoying the music of Sam since our first visit so when he hosted one of the games we played on Sunday we were able to chat about his music and how much we have enjoyed it. In addition to Sam we caught up with some of our favorite Woodloch people- John Kiesendahl (owner of Woodloch) and his famous decorated slacks, Kathy who originally was our waitress and now works at the front desk, DJ Luis who has been hosting lots of dance and karaoke nights and Randy and his hysterical costumes.

I couldn't wait to talk to fellow survivor and advocate Bob Kiesandahl. I haven't seen Bob since the LiveSTRONG Summit in Ohio. Bob is a 13 year CML survivor doing fabulous advocacy and fundraising for LiveSTRONG, Fred Hutchison Cancer Center, Penn State Hershey Medical Center , Susan G Komen and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Check out his website

This year even though there was internet access I didn't bring a computer. It was nice to just enjoy spending time with Nick and my cousins doing things that made us laugh.  I did have some issues following along during my first ever Zumba class and the neuropathy in my toes did act up a bit but I really didn't think much about cancer the entire trip. How refreshing! 

But now it is back to my advocacy work prepping for next weeks e-Pharma Conference panel discussion. 

Dee
Every Day is a Blessing ! This past weekend was a blessing of old friends and family.

1 comment:

Facing Cancer Together said...

The trip and the location and the family time all sound wonderful. Thanks for sharing this return to normal (and vacation) with us. ~Catherine