Monday, November 14, 2011

Helping Others on the Journey- Cancer Hope Network

When I first learned I had ovarian cancer I did not know another woman with the disease. At my cancer center, I picked up a brochure for the Cancer Hope Network. I gave them a call and they matched me with a woman from NJ who was a survivor for over 5 years. I was thrilled to talk to her and saw her journey as one I could be on too.

In 2008, I decided that I wanted to be the person on the other end of the phone line giving another woman hope. So I took the training and became a patient support volunteer. I have spoken to women throughout the US . I've even made a call at 9pm to be able to chat with a survivor in California when they got home from work. I took a short leave of absence from my calls when I recurred but then started back up again when I finished treatment.

On Saturday, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a card in the mail from Cancer Hope Network. It said
Cancer Hope Network's
Garden of Hope Award
---------
In recognition and with deep gratitude
for three years of helping people
diagnosed with cancer .

Had it really been that long? It seemed like just yesterday when I started making those calls.

Along with the card were packets of flower seeds with the words "Volunteers plant the seeds of kindness". I can't wait to plant those seeds in my garden next year and watch the daisy's grow.

Dee
Every Day is a Blessing! I am blessed to be a Cancer Hope Network Support Volunteer.





No comments: