Tuesday, May 17, 2011

To My Women of Teal

I found this quote and instantly thought of all the Women of Teal in my life who have given me hope with their stories. I posted it on my Facebook page but wanted to share it with those women who read my blog.

"The truth is, in order to heal we need to tell our stories and have them witnessed...The story itself becomes a vessel that holds us up, that sustains, that allows us to order our jumbled experiences into meaning.

As I told my stories of fear, awakening, struggle, and transformation and had them received, heard, and validated by other women, I found healing.

I also needed to hear other women's stories in order to see and embrace my own. Sometimes another woman's story becomes a mirror that shows me a self I haven't seen before. When I listen to her tell it, her experience quickens and clarifies my own. Her questions rouse mine. Her conflicts illumine my conflicts. Her resolutions call forth my hope. Her strengths summon my strengths. All of this can happen even when our stories and our lives are very different."

— Sue Monk Kidd (The Dance of the Dissident Daughter: A Woman's Journey from Christian Tradition to the Sacred Feminine)



Dee

Every Day is a Blessing!

1 comment:

Servivorgirl said...

Dee,
It's very true. Other women sharing their story helps the layers in our own story raise to the surface somehow. Once in view, they can be validated, questioned, altered, deepened. Cancer is so complex, it effects everyone around us too, so their stories add even more to the layers. Thanks for sharing....Peace