Thursday, November 18, 2010

Two Months...

is my limit. Two months is how long I can go without seeing my children in person, see their face and give them a big hug. I use google chat but seeing, hearing and actually being in the same room with my kids is something else all together.

At the end of October it was two months since I had seen my son. So Nick , Amber (our new puppy ) and I drove down to Virginia to see him. Did we really have to go? Probably not but I just really needed to see him. I came back so happy to have had time to have dinner, go shopping , play with his dog Murphy and just plain talk. Yes we talked- about the article he was writing, his part-time job, PhD programs and the crew team he coaches. I really love talking about crew. It is something we have in common and it brings back such great memories of when I was a coxswain for the Rutgers lightweight crew team.

On November 1st it was 2 months since I saw my daughter. Lucky for me I had made a reservation to fly out for a visit. This past Sunday I flew out to Kansas to visit her and her pugnacious pug Silvio. I made sure I was up early so we could eat breakfast before she left for work. We ate dinner together, made cookies, brownies and talked. Yup there it is again- all we did was talk. Well, we watched TV too, Dancing with the Stars and Gilmore Girls reruns. That reminded me of when we used to watch 7th Heaven and Felicity together. The added bonus was that I also got to talk to her husband, Andy, for the first time in 4 months. Andy is deployed to Iraq. I am so proud of him and her for "holding down the fort" here at home.

I don't really know if other mothers have this urgent need to visit their adult children every few months when they live far away. But, I sure do. I hope I can continue my 2 month visiting for many years to come.

Dee
Every Day is a Blessing!

No comments: